Frequently Asked Questions

Where do campers stay?

Our campers stay overnight in residential halls on campus. While it can vary from year to year, most youth programs are housed in Pollock Halls or East Halls. The Stuckeman Family Building, where many activities take place, is on the north end of campus. Please prepare your child — they will do a lot of walking!

What are the rooms like?

Most rooms are double occupancy with no air-conditioning. Campers will have a roommate close to their age. Males and females are located in adjacent buildings. There are shared bathrooms on each floor, but not in the rooms. Please note, we will try our best to reserve renovated residential halls with A/C (located in East Halls) but cannot guarantee that as summer resident instruction students get top priority.

Where will campers eat?

Campers eat together in either Pollock or Findlay dining halls for most meals. Three meals per day are provided. Due to the tight schedule, some lunches are catered and delivered to the Stuckeman Family Building. Typical catered meals are pizza, Moe’s Southwest Grill, and Jersey Mike’s. We try our best to accommodate food preferences when catering, however, it is not always guaranteed unless medically necessary (please email the program manager at The dining halls serve a variety of meals that include vegetarian and gluten-free options.

Will campers be supervised?

Counselors supervise the campers 24/7. We hire both male and female counselors, and they stay in the residence halls with the campers. All our staff have all required clearances and background checks and at least one of each gender is over 21 years old. Campers are supervised at all times, and they are not allowed to go anywhere unless their counselors and/or instructors are with them.

Resident campers enjoy evening activities together as a group. Activities may include group games, movie nights, or shopping downtown.

Does my camper need extra money?

The camp fee includes all meals, room-and-board, and evening activities. The only items your child might want to purchase with their own money would be extra snacks (in addition to what is provided daily) and/or souvenirs.

What are recommended travel options?

By Air: The State College Regional Airport, previously named University Park Airport (airport code: SCE) is ten minutes away! Visit the State College Regional Airport website for information on flights. We recommend that you make the State College/University Park Airport your final airport destination. Taxis are often located outside of the airport baggage claim area, curbside. Participants are responsible for arranging ground transportation between the airport and campus, university employees are not allowed to transport minors onto campus.

By Car: The University Park campus is located within driving distance of many major cities, including Harrisburg (1.5 hrs., 90 mi.), Pittsburgh (3 hrs., 137 mi.), Philadelphia (3.5 hrs., 194 mi.), Baltimore (3.5 hrs., 155 mi.), Washington, D.C. (4 hrs., 190 mi.), New York City (5 hrs., 250 mi.), and Toronto (6.5 hrs., 304 mi.). See Happy Valley Adventure Bureau for detailed visitor information.

By Bus: The following companies provide bus service between major cities and State College, Pennsylvania: Greyhound and Megabus.

When are check-in and departure?

Details about arrival and departure, including check-in location, will be sent in the “Know Before You Go” email to parents and participants prior to the beginning of camp. For planning purposes, “check-in” is usually between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m. on the first day of camp, and campers are typically free to depart on the last day around 1:00 p.m.